This paper written by Geoffrey Sperl of the Wayne State University is I think an excellent insight into the transformation process a “Computer Geek” needs to undertake when moving from an IT support position to a management type position. Although this paper was written a few years ago (2006) I think that it still offers a good range of information about the particulars of moving from geek to manager, starting with the basics such as a light hearted look at personal conduct before moving onto the main points.
These main points include planning ahead, staff training and leadership techniques, with each point being covered in a good level of detail. Following this the author finishes of with a conclusion which summaries the steps within the paper and describes how the content is based around lessons that he has learnt.
I felt that the main points outlined within this paper offered a good deal of information and due to the fact that most of this content was at quite a high level I believe it could be applied in many different situations. Namely situations where a staff member with little leadership and management experience is to be placed in a position of responsibility, in this scenario an overview of how they are expected to behave and how they can be successful in their new position could be helpful and could go a long way to ensuring a smooth transition of roles and a good outcome for both new manager and staff.
Overall I found this paper short and to the point, easy to read and I feel that it offers a good concise overview of the transition process from geek to manager.
No comments:
Post a Comment